Thank You Jenny Doan, Finale Jelly Roll 2.5

Rocking the last days of Summer with Jelly 2.5! Done in record time it is. This one is special, for a special friend with some serious health issues. With the warm weather waning a nice cuddle quilt is just the right gift. Given a slightly negative moniker by the super quilters crowd, these quick quilts do go together quickly and are perfect for service quilts and quick gifts.  I don't see that as a negative because with every stitch my thoughts and prayers are with the recipient as if it took one year to complete. She needs it now. That said here are some other pictures. Introduced to the quicker quilt make, using pre-cuts, by the Jenny Doan U-tube videos has given me the opportunity to finish a project or two or three in much less time. 
I used 2 1/2  inch strips from another Mirabella Jelly Roll for the binding.

Here on the dining room table.






 And even though I did not plan to quilt intensely, it seems that is the only thing I know how to do.
 Here I was working on my worms. Formed by layering "C" shapes the end product sort of resembles worms according to some people.
The back shows sweeps and swirls. I enjoy the quilting process. My lesson is to give the machine a break now and then. On the next one I am going to try something different....didn't I say that the last time?
And here we are, Mr. trying to hold up the quilt and Auggie, the large yellow dog on the right of the picture was giving it the eye as well. He thinks it is for him. This rocking chair is one of those large ones from Cracker Barrel, it lives on the back porch. Please excuse the wrinkles, I had no idea.

Conclusions for this project:
  • I will make another Jelly Roll or two to have available when I need a gift on short notice. I call this my Plus One Project.  I will work on this after the Holidays. 
  • I will not use the same batting. I had a batt of Mountain Mist Cream Rose on hand in the size I needed. It is not stable, it stretches, it pills. Done with that. 
  • My machine, the Handiquilter Sweet 16, needs a certain kind of thread for best results. Isacord and Superior So Fine, some of the Aurifils. That's it. Words of frustration were expressed let me tell you. To avoid that I am stocking up on the right threads for the long Winter stitching season. 
  • I still really like the pre-cuts.
  • I now prefer a modified board basting method. Twice I have used a spray baste with pins. Quicker than hand basting. It used to take me as long to hand baste as it did to quilt the piece!   Now I leave the pins open and pop them into a old metal flower pot as I work. I like the metal because while I am sewing I am dropping the pins and I hear them hit the metal. (I know, she is sort of obsessive about the little things. Isn't she?) 
That's all folks.  

Comments

ELMO said…
I love your C's and swirls. This isn't your first time at the rodeo.
celkalee said…
I love to sit for hours and swirl and worm my way through the the patches!!!