Sit Down, Rest A While

paper mache' pumpkin, Old Allegheny Shoppe
Weeks ago I mentioned that I had fulfilled one of my missions. For years I had admired the hand made Windsor Chairs and Rockers at Arts and Craft fairs and certain specialty shops. I found many I liked, however, they were beyond my budget. Then one day this summer Husband came with me to the Shaker Woods Festival in Columbiana, Ohio.   Summer 2013 schedule here. When we entered the fair grounds he said.... and I quote...."you can buy anything you want!!"  At the time he was seeing painted gourds, yard flags and lawn ornaments. Uh-huh.

 I had only one specific goal that day, it was to pick up a basket or two from my favorite basket maker.  The Pennsylvania Basket Company makes beautiful baskets, some have historical significance. I have several and use them everyday. I cannot find a website for them. 
 
 This wooden base shallow basket is perfect for holding my yarns!
when my yarns are in view I am more inclined to work on a project, this basket measures about 12 inches across by 6 inches deep. the wooden handles are a nice touch.


I had no purpose for this one at the outset but I really liked the oval shape and depth. So far I have used it to store blankets and now magazines. It measures 16 inches in length, about 12 inches wide and 12 inches deep. It has a wooden swivel handle.

It is a piece of art.
Anyway, on my way to their booth, out of the corner of my eye, calling my name, hinting at elegance, the Windsor Rocker. Enter Joe Graham of Lenox Workshops.
Made of oak, walnut and hickory, this rocker was a favorite among the other vendors at the fair. I became very popular when the word was out that it was coming home with me. 
Entirely hand made, these pieces are stunning. Joe interprets the classic Windsor style with his own artisitic flair. Now remember, Husband said anything! Guess who came home with me?
Ta-Da, my Winnie!
A continuous arm Windsor. Wearing her wool hooked chair pad.
Without her pad, the wood grain is so pretty, it is hand pegged as well. The seat is carved to bum shape. I know, how cool is that?

 Look at that little chair pad. How cute is that? No, I didn't make it but someday I would love to learn how. PS, I have the loom. 

 The rockers and cross bars are curved and shaped to mimic the lines of the rocker.
The hand pegged arm and hand grip, fits my hand exactly, you would think this was planned...almost providential!
This carved detail on top of the bow is repeated on the back splats.

Carved and moulded the seat is shaped to fit the bum. The back is shaped with a lumbar curve. The arms are are curved and flared to suit the resting arm. I am in love. With a piece of wood. So sue me! Or, just come over and have a seat, in my Winnie and rest a bit.
About the Windsor Chair.

The Word Project:  rest
noun

1.
the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
2.
refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
3.
relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
4.
a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
5.
mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.
 
*as usual, no compensation is received or implied by my mention of the Festival, the basket-maker or the chair maker.  I do my best to support individual and local trades people. I consider these baskets and the rocker as investment pieces. In the process I support local small businesses and hard working families. Being the privileged owner of these pieces is my compensation. Thank you Husband.

Comments

Jeanneke said…
This fabulous piece of craftsmanship deserves the name Throne!
So, seated on it you can feel (or call) yourself Queen.
Enjoy your moments on and with your throne!
Cheers,

Jeanneke.
p.s. Did you receive my email? Hope it didn't get lost in the blogsphere.

Corrine said…
Thanks Yeanneke. It is an amazing piece.
ELMO said…
That chair is fabulous!! I love the fluid lines, and the wood grain, beautiful.