A Studio Moment, I Guarantee it Will Change

A beautiful day ahead for us here, a little cool for this time of year but I'll take it. Yesterday was the Fabric Collage Workshop for our Quilt Guild. Wow, I am sort of overwhelmed. I will share in the near future, I need to process and recover! 

Some things I know:  an "artist" is a very special person with a creative filter that I certainly do not possess,  within the group of about 20 ladies there were probably 3 who had the 'eye!' Again, I was not one of them,  and I just want to state that I have absolutely no idea where Jimmy Hoffa is either. 

That said, by request, a quick view of the rearranged studio. A constant work in progress, I made a few snaps before it went back to its constant state of clutter! Have a lovely day. 



I needed to reduce some clutter in the workspace studio. Some of it real clutter, some of it visual because I thought having mood boards and reminder boards around me, while I worked, would stimulate me. NO, it was driving me crazy. I had to eliminate the whole business. Down came the bulletin boards, one for quilt ideas and plans and one for garments as well. All they did was remind me of how little time I have been able to spend accomplishing anything. Gone! The large mounting board above this shelf with  all kinds of stuff, to the trash. In its place is a small board that was on another wall holding the quilt ideas. Instead, a calendar, pens, pencils, two pincushion patterns and a country angel to guide my way. Calm, organized and simple. Good beginning, to the opening door in the studio.

The Rockateer
In the same place but de-cluttered is the file cabinet and file shelves, junk removed. The Rockateer is mostly decorative here, a temperature gauge patiently does its work. The IKEA 4 drawer chests are filled to the brim, a total of 8 drawers, all quilting material and one drawer of wools and yarns , they stay.  

storage quilt fabric
second IKEA chest with a pattern bin (old planter re-purposed) a book stand with some new books, a light and a Longaberger basket filled with more stuff to sort and file. Not all the junk is gone, Te-He!

quilt, patriotic log cabin
The biggest change is that I turned the main sewing desk around, yes, back to where it started. I prefer the sergers behind me with the pressing board, The desk faces the doorway directly. The staging clip boards are on the right, the white board is on the left. I use the white board for lists. Breaking down the projects, separating components and crossing them off as I go. Under the back counter are four of the plastic drawer chests, each with its own function. One cart holds all serger related needs. Another has a special collection of William Morris theme fabrics I am collecting for the Quilt of a Lifetime. Another holds felting items, another some looms for loom-knitting.

viking number one plus
Looking at the main desk my favorite/primary machine faces the door, television etc. A small turning cutting mat is ideal for quilt piecing. Regularly used rulers are to my left. A new organizer has moved in for sewing machine needles and extra bobbins etc. I need to label the drawers yet but it is very nice. Off to the right there is the Handi-Quilter with a for make-do dust cover. I need to make a custom fitted one. Since I quilt in spurts the down time for this machine can be weeks, thus a cover is required. Under this large IKEA desk are 4 of the rolling plastic carts. One has nothing but thread, one is full of odds and ends needed on rare occasion and binder clips, push pins etc. Another cart holds threads and tools just for the Handi-quilter and the last one holds marking and cutting tools, pincushions and pins, small stencils.

Ikea desk, cutting table
To the right of the main machine are the work boxes. From IKEA, one large and one small. The front, smaller box holds items I use constantly. Cutters, bobbins, insert cards that the Viking #1 + uses for different stitches without the embroidery unit.  The larger box, behind, holds threads that have been used and need to return to their appropriate cart, markers, seam guides, glue sticks etc. Off to the right is the large cutting table. This is another one of those needful items that only sees periodic use. By putting it on the right-hand end of  main desk I can line up the project boxes and unfold the leaves for cutting when required. The two large cutting mats are tucked between the desk and the cutting table.

Another view, The baskets are holding a project each.

Another view of the main desk with a basket of new fabrics I will share ideas for soon and a pink tin for saveable small scraps of fabric.

mid arm quilting machine
The Handi-Quitler is now in front of the desk. Another trial position, we will soon be working and I will test the position. As I have mentioned before, I need a larger room.

Do you see what I did? Again with the visual clutter the large Handi-Quilter Sweet 16 logo was getting on my nerves. So I removed it. I left one tiny heart  that was used to dot the proverbial "I" and that will probably bite the dust too. Too cutesey right now.
The required television on three drawer IKEA chest that holds embroidery, trims, and CD's. Bathroom door is on the right, I spared you that tour. On the left is that big walk in closet that you could not walk into if it meant your life! Fabric floor to ceiling and in the middle. Includes a spare sewing machine, a table, and several little bins with quilts waiting for finishing. The bag on the door knob is a traveling project bag. Three projects are in progress there.  Well, that is all for now. As always, this will change, it always does. Till next time.   Ps. I avoided showing you the  bookshelf to the right of the 4 drawer IKEA chests, it is a mess!!! So in summary: gone, bulletin boards, mood boards, design wall, decor that was just too cute, the Handi-quilter logo, my frustration. (((smile)))




Comments