Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Jelly Roll Marathon Quilt-part 2

I am not sure how much of a marathon this was, but I did manage to get the entire top pieced in one afternoon, about 6 hours, not one hour as implied.  I had visitors, made dinner and did 6 loads of laundry at the same time so I guess that is not so bad. There are two elements where I varied significantly from the video. here.

 Number one, I am not a "fast" sewer. I don't like to sew fast, I don't like futzing around with my fabric, hoping everything lines up like ducks in a row. I like to position it, sew 18 inches or so and re-position. Second, I press my seams as I go. The thought of all those small and very long seams all flapping around as I sew the next row is just not acceptable. I need them to pressed nice and flat before the next step. I starch lightly as I go, I use regular old Niagra spray starch that I get from Costco on a four-pack. Nothing fancy. Spray lightly, wait a minute for it to absorb, then press. No wrinkles or dimples. Works for me.

So, armed with my essentials I sat down for the afternoon Sew-a-thon.


 The tea is in the cup. I keep an electric kettle and my supplies nearby, that way I don't need to climb steps for my cuppa.
 Husband supplied dinner.
Oh yes, and of course, The Jellyroll. This one is by Moda, Kansas Troubles,  Perennials. I am fond of the traditional designs and colors. I also added some lovely Kona black as an accent color.

As instructed in the video, I opened the Jelly Roll and used each strip, in sequence.








Step number one, right sides together, join the strips on their bias, 45 degree angle. 


One after the other, assembly-line style then cut the joining threads. This makes enough strips to stretch from where I live to to the rudderless National Capitol, but that is a subject for another blog.




Now trim off all those wee triangles treated by the bias joinings. Mmmm, wonder if someone I know wants these? 
I pressed every seam along the way. These I pressed open to reduce the bulk when quilting.
 So here we are, the top completed, I just draped it over top of the Dogwood blocks. Please excuse the bins etc, I am cleaning. Sort of.

This view may be better looking.

 The final measurement is 65 inches x 75 inches. For a throw it would work, size-wise. But I am going to do more, I found another Jelly Roll, same fabric. I'll detail my ideas in post #3.

Conclusions:
  • this is a great and quick way to piece a top
  • my next one will be a bit different in a couple ways, I will change the order of the fabrics in the Jelly Roll. I find the finished product too predictable, rather boring with some of the lights reading as the same color. Because of the way this particular roll was assembled in color-ways the same background colors were in a run. I should un-sew it, but I have chosen to leave it as is. Following the video instructions.
  • On the next one I will cut some of  strips in half. This will add some unpredictability to the design. It will limit the railroad effect I see when looking at the finished top.   
So the "flimsy"  is essentially done.  One of my favorite Quilt Bloggers, Kaaren of   The Painted Quilt coined that phrase, one I heard from Husband's Grandmother, years ago. It is one of those words that conjures up all sorts of Home to me.

I am going to add sashing and borders in the same fabric, next time.    

2 comments:

ELMO said...

I see triangles :)

Jeanneke said...

Great top!
I'll be attending a Jelly Roll Quilt-in-one-day workshop on November 23, my deceased mother's birthday.
Looking forward to it so very much!
Cheers from flat and sunny Friesland in the Netherlands.

Jeanneke.

Batik Fabrics and Fall Projects

Quilting Digest offers this project and pattern, just click here to follow the link! Sewtopia is in a bit of a limbo the last few ...