January 6, 2021-The Gifts of the Magi, Merry Christmas to my Orthodox Friends

Today is the Day of the Kings. For me it is the end of the Christmas season. While this was a very low key holiday for most, I hope this finds you healthy and full of promise for the future.

 One of my great disappointments is being too tired to travel to another floor to see this painting when we were in London.  After tromping gallery after gallery, museum after museum, and every church in central London, I was just exhausted. In my head I said "next time." I am not sure when that will be but my amazement of this work has not faltered. It is dotted with meaning from the clothing worn by the Kings to the placement of the figures. Next time. 

 Jan Gossaert, Adoration of the Kings

Oil on wood, what inspiration must have been required to imagine this scene! 

 Adoration of the Magi, 1510-1515, by Jan Gossaert. National Gallery London


Comments