Thursday, November 21, 2013

Musings


Scrapbuster Star Block

Hello all you Scrappy Scrap busters! We all know if you Quilt you have scraps. I so admire those quilters who can fashion such beautiful blocks with the little bits and bobs. Here is the perfect example. Seemingly mis-matched fabric finds its design destiny! Instructions here.






My fashion sense is rather scrappy now too. Didn't used to be.
Lots of Fashion news on the webs these days. I suppose it was always there but I paid little attention. Too busy quilting.
  • That explains why I think elastic waist pants are fashion forward.
  • I heard a rumor not long ago that the famous/infamous 'platform' shoe is going away, again. Remember the 1970's? We can only hope. The whole feet like Frankenstein's monster look just does not work for me. Never did.
  • And speaking of decade style, the 1980's peplums are back in a very fresh and restrained manner. Hopefully, the shoulder pads will not resurface. Think Dynasty.
  •  You can never have enough coats, this becomes crystal clear about this time of year.
  • You can tell a persons spirit by looking at their socks. 
  • I find the decadent advertisements at this time of year for luxury cars, diamonds, cashmere, watches etc. rather unsettling. Now, that might be an income associated bias.
  • And another Holiday thing, the 'Fruit of the Month' gift. Who can eat that much fruit? My Father sent that one year, I still choke at the sight of a Naval Orange.
  • I really need to get a jump on sewing some sleepwear. If I ever have to run out of the house without proper dress the first responders will be 'passing-the-hat' not wearing it! I am not joking. 
  • Have you noticed the evolution of hosiery? I was in Macy's the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see plastic legs, hanging out by the escalator naked except for some beautiful patterned hosiery. I had a 1960's flashback. It was good. 
  • During my school years I used to work for another large retailer in the '60's and Holiday season in the women's intimates was much like a disaster movie. We sold nightwear and hosiery. Also girdles, now called Spanx. You had to be there, I was blessed to be the 'fitter,' now that was fashion trauma!
  • It is true, everything, and I mean everything old is new again. Even old scraps from your quilting stash can  be made into something bright and new. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

What Do You Do With All That Rosemary?

My china closet that houses only the Polish Pottery collection, well, some of it. That little space below the hutch is not much good for ...