A New Month Already? How Did That Happen? The Sunday Plan and Post

From my Collection, Vintage Pastel Lonestar



I really cannot believe tomorrow is August 1st already! While I have made some progress on the long list of lists, not nearly as much as I wanted to. This tells me a couple things. First, I have too many projects going on and struggle to finish them. There was a time when I set aside specific blocks of time to work on my things, but that sort of evaporated. I actually felt pressured to work on "the project" to the point where I no longer enjoyed the process. Recently, I have tried to fit "the project" into the available time. Well, that doesn't work so well either. Part of the reason that I started this blog was to be more productive. I tend to organize everything, even the dried herbs and spices in my pantry are in identical jars, with identical labels, in alphabetical order. I know, geez! So where am I going with this?

Since I have this penchant for needing the structure to sew but requiring the flexibility not to fuss about it, I need to re-examine my process. I like to sew, knit, felt, crochet, quilt....on and on, but I think I have finally identified a major flaw.  After much thought, I have more or less decided to not multi-task, to focus on one project, one thing at a time. Sometimes this process will take one week, sometimes one month. This will be quite a challenge, but for the month of August, I want to see if I can do it.


My plan for this week: (this may not be totally focused but it is a start:)))

1. Since tomorrow is the first Monday of the Month, mending will still need to be done. I have two pair of purchased summer weight trousers that have lost their hems. Now, these were high end RTW, supposedly quality stuff. The hems are turned and hemmed with a blind-stitch but the stitching has come un-done in the wash. I didn't catch the hem on something and pull it out, it fell out!  This tells me that the stitching was not secured after hemming. So they each need to be re-hemmed.
  • Wrap up current projects. I have a couple of projects in the delayed category that need to be completed or closeted. First of these is the Rose Red Linen Dress. I no longer need that dress for a certain occasion and the fabric is too special to just use it up, so I will put it back in the stash for another time. I suppose I was just not that thrilled with my pattern selection to begin with. Time will tell.    
  • Another wrap up is binding that turning twenty quilt. I did pick up the binding fabric but the process required using the dining room table and I had an event lined up so I did not want to mess it up. That's done, so today I will do the machine portion of that and turn and hand stitch the back side during the week, during television time. 
  • Starch and Press the fabrics for the group project quilt, the Fall/not Halloween item. 
  • Put all the sewing and frequently used quilting books in one place, in the old book case near my new cutting station. 
  • DECIDE once and for all how I am going to sash the penny squares blocks, cut the fabrics and at least start it. 
Ok, now I can see I am already getting a bit of a list going here. I need to stop before it is more than I can get done in the allotted time. I am going to try setting aside specific blocks of time again so that I can get something done each day. Wish me luck.

Gratuity Moment: time, and the ability to use it more wisely. 

Comments