My Favorite Blog Tips of the Week

share from my collection-cot quilt, all scraps on muslin vintage 1950's

 When I find so many great blogs and websites to visit, I am always amazed at how much fabulous information is out there for garment sewers, quilters, knitters, felters and all the needle crafts. I always hope I will remember all these great tips, but I also recognize that I need to write things down, to remember. So this post will be the start of a compilation of these great tips, with attributes when possible. It will be a stand alone page in the future. (meaning when I get time to set it up:)))) So here we go.





  1. Favorite tutorials:
  • If you ever visit Colette Patterns you know about the fabulous patterns. But the tutorials are wonderful. Currently, a new blouse pattern is being detailed.  The "Violet" blouse is a lovely shirt that has great opportunity for embellishment and/or personalization. Covered in the tutorials for this blouse so far has been a lace overly collar, pin tucks and this week button loops.  Here is the link to Colette Pattern Site.         http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog

2. Bloggers insight:
There is constant debate among the sewing community about To Muslin or Not to Muslin....that is the Question. If you fall in the To Muslin group you know that marking the muslin during the fitting process is an important component of the process. This lady remarked that any marking tool is fine for the muslin (not a wearable muslin) because it will not be worn. Why have I been wasting my pricey wash away marker on Muslin?????? I am so sorry that I don't remember where I read this because it was the great insight of my life, this week!

3. Product review:
The New Clover Wonder Clips. Jeanne Marie introduced these on her blog.   http://jmsewingstudio.com/author/jmtokunaga/
These function much like the clips I use to secure quilt bindings, but they have a flat face, like a binder clip, to use when applying narrow bias binding. Jeanne Marie will hopefully tell us about these after she works with them. If you would like to see these, go to    http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/3155/_/Wonder_Clips_%2810_pieces%29.

4. If you sew, you know. I think most of us love our sewing gadgets and widgets. There are times when you want/need a particular foot for your machine, a discontinued fabric, cutting tools, books etc. There are times also that you would like to sell items that you purchased and changed your mind  or you purchased a new machine and want to sell one. There is a Yahoo group that permits all of these things. I was surprised at how many people do not know about this. I have used this site to buy and sell and had no problems. Check it out, it might be just right for you. The name is " Sew its For Sale. "
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale/

 5. Another great site for sewing information, from pattern fitting to applying a binding on a stretch knit fabric look to Bresnan Studio. Wow, talk about comprehensive information, this site is a how-to book on the web. This post is the neck bindings.
http://www.brensan.com/Garment/Techniques/StretchNecklines.html
 
Hope you have a great week-end sewing or not.  Hopefully, it will be a productive one and not too hot!

Gratuity Moment: on-line tutorials. In spite of the wealth of sewing books I have, when I need a quick refresher, I tend to hop on-line. I learn best with the video tutorials I think. 

Comments

Jeanne Marie said…
Corinne, the Wonder Clips are on order. I will definitely report on how they work out. I'm planning to put a crochet lace trim on my current project. I'll try the Wonder Clips out instead of pins.