It's a good thing I like Old Stuff

cotton thread on cardboard tubes

Everyone knows I collect old sewing notions. That said, when they are sorting out an old house I am usually lucky enough to be gifted some great items. This collection is no exception. As I have mentioned before, I rather like wooden spools, with or without their thread. 
 This is another American Thread Company spool. I have to take some time to research this company and what happened to them
 This spool is wound very differently. The thread is heavy, like a Knit-Cro-Sheen.
 Lots of little wooden spools with all kinds and colors of thread. I suspect the small size was popular then because these were primarily used for mending, thus the many colors to match. Since many are the same weight, manufacturer, etc, I suspect they came as a collection. Many of them still have a little sewing needle tucked in them with thread still on the needle.

 This one has a label from a now long-defunct department store in our area. Originally named Murphy's my Mother worked there before and during the war. (WW II) In the 60's the "mart" concept sort of branched from the city out to the suburbs and Murphy's Mart was this company's incarnation of that movement. At that time it was still possible to carry a private label thread. 
This person saved empty wooden spools and wrapped embroidery floss onto them. Some of the thread on these old spools is very heavy and labeled rug thread.







 Included in this collection is a needle-pack. These were advertisement give-aways. It still has one needle left in it. Just look at the typical American Family of the 1950's I think based on the clothing.

 Now these are some serious needles and a bodkin stuck into a scrap of brown paper. They appear to be upholstery needles. Very sharp.
 This is a darning tool. Many of these wooden tools looked like eggs, this one looks like a mushroom. It was used for darning socks. A quick Google search brings up multiple sites that have new and antique darning tools and several sites show how to use the tool for darning socks and repairing sweaters.
This one shows quite a bit of wear on the top, the finish is worn down to bare wood. The more of these items that come to me the more I feel the need to protect them. So, into the antique sewing table with most of these, but I will keep the threads on a rack for a while, just to look at I think.

Gratuity Moment: surprise boxes that come my way, sort of like Christmas.

Comments