Book Review-A Stitch in Time

Have you seen or heard about this book? Some time ago I read about it and tried to get it through my library. No luck with that. It seems that with current budget constraints, a book like this that appeals to very specific tastes, was just not financially feasible. Well, I was fortunate to have received some financial incentive for my birthday from D-MIL and D-FIL, so I tapped into the Amazon.com treasure trove and here she is. Written by Jane Waller and Susan Crawford in 2008 it is a compilation of knitted and crochet fashion from 1920 to 1949. Let me just read the introduction for you:
....."In 1972, one of the most relevant books in twentieth century knitting was first published. It contained over 100 original knitting and crochet patterns from women''s magazines printed in the UK between 1920 and 1949. It became a bible for knitters, fashion costume designers, and fashion historians alike, who had an interest in the clothing and styling of these times."   

Because a fire destroyed all of the original artwork, film, and plates it was not able to be republished. However, at the request of knitters, with much help from multiple sources it has been reassembled using vintage patterns and photographs from multiple sources.   Can I just say Wowzers? There is so much in this book that I wanted to share some of the photo's with you. I am not an accomplished knitter, but I have found a couple pieces that will be on my try it list. This week is my Yarn Shop Crawl with DDIL. I plant to study those patterns and look for some yarn to try. Since I am allergic to wool, I think I will be looking for silk/bamboo or rayon or who knows what.

a pull-over for Fall

so cute, love the seafoam color

can you believe those little bows woven in? please understand that the page is somewhat distorted. this young lady is not quite that well endowed.

redefine the cardigan

the dress in beautiful colors

bathing suit? never going to happen



So, just the reading of this book is a veritable step back in history, a real treat. Almost every item in the book is easily translated to current style. Just goes to show, everything repeats itself in one form or another.

*****my amateurish photography does not give proper credit to this book, for this I apologize.

Gratitude Moment: Amazon.com, enough said!

Comments