Monday, June 1, 2015

First Day of the Glorious Month of June!

I am not sure if it is possible to validate the theory that warm weather months pass more quickly than cold weather months, but I know they do. Where did May go? How did that happen? So now we are into June, a glorious month by anybody's standards and I plan to enjoy every minute of it. Of course there are projects waiting, nothing new there, but I want to be more aware of my surroundings, more sensitive to nature and certainly more productive in the creative arena.  

Some time ago, January I think, I mentioned that I was working on an art journal. A way to add some 'free thinking' to my process. While I don't share that journal publicly I wanted to share this little exercise. Based on a Doodle Project on the Inbox Jaunt Blog I thought I would give it a try. An art journal is eclectic, it is personal, it is an evolution of skill in some ways.
I like a journal with a hard cover, one that is not too big, and has heavy paper. I found this cork covered one at Michael's about 6 or 7 months ago. The paper weight is important because sometimes several layers of paint, pencil or doo-dad's are attached. This particular project is supposed to reflect the design lines in a piece of fabric. Fabric left over from my Quilted-in-the-hoop tote bag became the muse. It was fun. It was actually coloring after drawing in the echo lines. It reminded me of my type of free motion quilting. Mmmm. I see a theme here!
So enthused I decided to do another one. Fabric secured with Elmer's Permanent glue stick I set to doodling. Clearly this is one incident that defines Quit while you are ahead Woman!  The fabric was another piece of the left over and much like starting a crazy patch block, one needs at least 5 sides to the first fabric to build the block. It looks like a floral pistol holster. In the spirit of honest blogging, I had to show it. It is ugly. It was a mistake. OK, turn the page!!!

Now for my monthly public service reminders:
  •  The first of the month requires a gentle reminder to 1.) do your mending and 2.) clean your make up brushes if you use them,  3.) check for out dates on medications and last but not least 4.) check the Girls for irregularities or lumps. This is best done in the shower when you are all soaped up. It takes a couple minutes, it could save your life. 
  • Don't forget to use sunblock, 50 is now the recommended strength. Or don't go out between 11 am and 4 pm. Don't forget to cover your ears and head, melanomas and squamous cell as well as basal cell malignancies often form on the scalp and we don't even know it. See a dermatologist every year.
  • Do not talk on a land line phone or cell during a storm. Lightning can travel through electronic devices if it strikes near you. I know two people who had this happen, at the same time. They both had burns and hearing loss. Not worth it. 
  • Speaking of cell phones, don't use or text while driving and please be aware the rest of us don't want to hear your lame conversations in a restaurant or shopping place, you are not that interesting. (notice the sharp edges on that conversation? It is very annoying.) Unless you are unconscious, (I know,) bleeding or on fire it can wait. 
  • Try a new eatery this month. Step out of your comfort zone, just once. ( You know who you are.)
  • Be patient. Honking that blasted horn as soon as the light changes will only delay my response and my reaction will be slowed because I am afraid someone has stepped in front of me and you are trying to get my attention so I don't run them down. 
OK, OK, say goodnight Gracie :)



Have you ever used your fabric scraps to knit a rug? Well, check this out! Crazy Mom Quilts.
Need some ideas for some quick Spring projects? Check this out at All People Quilt. 
What's not to love here? Amy Smart and Vintage Inspired Dresdens! 

No comments:

Sashiko, A New Technique for a Quilter-And Welcome Fall

Terri's Sweet Little Pouch I have been fascinated with Sashiko for some time. This utility type of quilting has evolved in the la...