Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Around Every Turn a New Quilt, a Colorful Display

This quilt pattern is one I have never seen before. It is stunning. The red background contrasts so nicely with the block and its borders. The on-point setting makes it extra special.
Free Motion Swirls and Feathers....be still my heart.
This lady is one of our regular vendors, such a good sport for the photo. Now wouldn't you know that I cannot find her business card!
Red, White and Blue with precision piecing, a goal we all seek to accomplish.
Speaking of precision piecing just look at this pretty baby!
If you have been reading this blog over the last year you will recognize this one. Named Chocolate and Cherries  my friend Betty Jane made this beauty. The floral blocks remind me of a paperweight I saw in a gift shop in Canada years ago. The blocks are set on-point as well. Love it. 
In this stand of quilts I could not resist sharing the Snowman and Pinwheels quilt here. Can you believe how cute this is? 
I see more and more Free Motion Quilting on large and small quilts in this show. Many appeared to be computer driven edge to edge designs and they were lovely, balanced and sometimes themed to the quilt design or title. (I have never named a quilt officially but then I have never entered a show) There were many FMQ quilted pieces using domestic and long arm machines. The precision of these motifs amaze me. I really enjoy the process and tend to lean to swirls and swags. I was surprised to find out that many quilters have not even tried FMQ. If you are considering starting your own FMQ adventure you should meet Amy. A queen in that genre she discusses the basics and process in this post. Amy's Free Motion Quilting Adventures!
  • One of these days I will have more time to study the quilts in the show. We discussed this at our Ladies of the Cloth get together yesterday. Most of us who work the show have little time to spend time enjoying it! We are going to change some things next year to try to improve that situation. 
  • We were pleased to hear from several out of town visitors that they enjoyed our show as much as some of the larger shows on the East Coast. That was nice.
  • Sadly, our show conflicted with several other events in the city that target the fiber arts community. We have used the last week in March for many years. Changing venues caused two other events to need the same week. Traditionally I visit every one of these shows, this year I had to choose and spent time at two, the third not at all. 
  • When one considers the amount of money spent to produce these shows I am surprised but I suspect that it was a difficult decision. 
  • A-n-y-w-a-y, I hope next year will be a little different. I like them all but my allegiance is to the TRQ because I have friends who need my help. Ta-ta.

No comments:

Sashiko, A New Technique for a Quilter-And Welcome Fall

Terri's Sweet Little Pouch I have been fascinated with Sashiko for some time. This utility type of quilting has evolved in the la...