Monday, March 3, 2014

Spring 2014


I know that it is really difficult to think of warm weather clothing when snow and the ice are pelting a large part of the country. If not that then torrential rain and mudslides. I need to think of something else! Join me?  This all started when I read a post by The Charming Shams of Communing with Fabric. Several months ago she posted a piece on her difficulties with commercial patterns. At the time she was one of several who clearly stated deficiencies and deficits. The difference? She wrote a letter to The McCalls Pattern Company. McCalls publishes all the big four and prints just about every other pattern out there except for a few independents. Lo and behold she was contacted by The McCalls Pattern company and offered a one day meet and greet at the Puyallup Sewing Expo! A lady on a mission she was prepared and had many questions answered about the current state of paper patterns, sizing and many other issues. The executives there respectfully spent much time with her and provided information that I think appeals to all Sewists. Please click on the link to read the full article and see some insider views of the state of pattern design and preparation in the current market. butterick pattern b6025
Butterick 6025
butterick pattern b6025So this leads me to my take on so many of the current patterns offered over the last year or so. They are all much the same. They are boxy and the shoulder draft is usually way to big for me. I need a larger pattern but lets face it, the shoulders pretty much stay the same size even if "the girls" are larger or the waist has sort of left the building! I have always had to do some fitting in the upper torso but I really don't need to wear football shoulder pads either. There are strong indications that the Butterick line is getting an updated sloper and a return to sized patterns versus multi-sized blocky featureless garment.  I will be watching this development closely. The Butterick patterns were always a favorite. Take B6025 for example. Too cute. First the line drawing illustrates multiple fitting opportunities  with the princess seaming and the overall shaping develops a secondary design feature, a peplum. Very popular right now, this fabrication highlights how versatile this pattern could be in in print or solid fabric. I'm liking it.

Quite frankly it reminds me of the impeccable styling of independent pattern designer   Kay Whitt of Serendipity Studio. In any case, I think this shows a positive trend. Just wanted to add my 2 cents!
(46)

No comments:

What Do You Do With All That Rosemary?

My china closet that houses only the Polish Pottery collection, well, some of it. That little space below the hutch is not much good for ...