Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday Folly, Orphan Block Turned Pyramid Pincushion

The template I used to cut the ever-in-progress Kaffe units was sitting beside it.
While clearing off the desk where my machine does its work. I unearthed this left-over block. This is a fabric (jellyroll) that I was not sure I liked at first but after the quilt was made I really liked the overall effect.   Anyway, I needed a big pin cushion to park on the side of the small pressing board near my iron. Why not?

I cut the 5 kite shaped blocks and joined them on the long sides.

Reminds me of a bra-cup Madonna would wear during a stage performance!
pincushion

I pressed the seams nice and flat, stood it up on top of a piece of scrap fabric, traced the outline and cut out a bottom piece. That paisley looking fabric you see in the photo on the right is still hanging around. I must have bought all they had! I attached the bottom piece to the cone and left a small opening for turning and stuffing.

Somewhere along the line during the Holidays I used up all my fiberfill stuffing so I sacrificed a poly blend quilt batt that has been hanging around for years and years. 
What a hoot! How can you not chuckle when you realize that I used about an hour of precious time on this Folly? I am going to start a new feature,  Sewtopian Follies!!!

pincushion
a profile shot for effect!
  • Sometimes you need to just do something silly! This is truly Folly! I am going to add a pom-pom.
  • You can never have enough pincushions, I keep one in every 'station' and work basket. Never fails, I will need a pin when I least expect it.
  • I am having fun with smalls. The bigs are staring at me and I am just not in the mood to deal with them this week.
In Progress:
  1. I needed to knit swatches for another project. I saw a charming water bottle cover in a new magazine. I thought, why not turn the swatch into the cover for new rice filled heating pads I am making? Beavering away I realized that I could crochet the cover much quicker and need to get knitting on the project. More on that another time.
  2. Another folly of sorts, a critter. A mantle critter. Needs a finishing touch or two and some tweaks in the pattern, It is small. 
  3. Still working on using the new Point and Shoot camera. Not just a Point and Shoot I might be able to get this thing to clean the house!   
 ****still snowing here.....................

No comments:

What Do You Do With All That Rosemary?

My china closet that houses only the Polish Pottery collection, well, some of it. That little space below the hutch is not much good for ...