Saturday, October 20, 2012

When to Quit, When to Start, and When to Hang it Up!

 
 OK, the bad news first. Remember this? I named it the Wonky Block Quilt because it was made from test blocks from early in my quilting life. No matter how hard I tried, I didn't like it, couldn't like it, had no connection with it. It had so many flaws and I didn't even like the colors after it was all pieced.  I delayed finishing it as long as possible. Well the time came. As I worked on the quilting I noticed my Even Feed Foot, or walking foot, started to squeak. I checked the backing, it looked good, I continued. When I was quilting the last quarter, I decided to take a look again. Bad, very, very bad. It was all puckered and well, Wonky. If I really liked this quilt, I would pick it all out and start over. I don't like it, I won't rescue it. I trimmed it up and tossed it aside to bind at a later date for the dogs, if they will even lay on it. Done with it. A very important milestone here. If I ever feel this way again about a quilt project, I will stop. Quit and waste no more time.  

 So now I needed a replacement. Enter the Moda Fabrics Dogwood charm packs. Such lovely fabrics, very pastel, very feminine, very chic. I didn't know what I would do with them but have looked at them over and over. Thinking, of course, I should have picked up some yardage as well. Anyway, right after the Wonky toss, I decided to make some half-square triangles with the charm blocks. I have done this before and like the results.Where it will go after this....I am not sure.


Charm square blocks, right sides together, marked on the diagonal, stitch 1/4   inch on either side of marked line. String piece all one side, then the other, cut on marked line. Pressed seams open.



Above, blocks on a design wall (large piece of polar fleece, draped over book case) See how the blocks look with the white background. Simulating white sashing. Below with Moda solid black 2 inch strips. Which do you prefer? I don't want to buy any more fabric so I will use one of my standby whites or this black.

Today's assistant, resting his head on my knee as I sew. And yes, his head is that big!

The Word Project: Connection
noun
: the act of connecting : the state of being connected: as
a : causal or logical relation or sequence connection
between two ideas>
b (1) : contextual relation or association connection the word has a different meaning> (2) : relationship in fact connection with a robbery>
c : a relation of personal intimacy (as of family ties)
d : coherence, continuity

5 comments:

ELMO said...

I think the colors are too soft for the black, I like the white better!

Corrine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Corrine said...

try this again, fingers were on all the wrong keys!

Duly noted and appreciated. Te He He!

Jeanneke said...

I agree with Elmo, thinking the white ones are better for the lovely, delicate colours than the black.
Cheers!

Jeanneke.

Corrine said...

In person, the black looked a little Asian-flavored to me. But I think you are both correct, it is too strong with the pastels. If there were some stronger predominates the black might work. Thanks for your opinion.

Meet Wanda Hanson, Exuberant Color

Always looking for inspiration for our own quilts, many of us follow other bloggers. Some are more, much more than quilters, they are Artis...